Whatever happened to Rumaki, that vaguely Polynesian appetizer that they used to serve at tiki themed parties in the 70s? Maybe making buffalo-style rumaki will help modernize them a bit and bring them back into the public lexicon? Let’s all try serving this recipe at our next soiree and see what happens.
Note: If you want to serve extra wing sauce on the side, prepare an additional batch of sauce as directed omitting the egg yolk.
Buffalo Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup hot sauce, preferably Frankâ€™s
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, for extra heat, optional
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 egg yolk
1/2 pound thick cut bacon slices, cut in half
1 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1â€ pieces
Additional Buffalo sauce, and/or Blue cheese or ranch dressing for serving (optional)
Oven safe skewers
1. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Place a wire baking rack inside a large foil lined baking sheet. Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together, then separate into two medium sized bowls. Add the chicken tender pieces to one of the bowls and gently toss to coat.
3. Wrap each tender in a half piece of bacon and secure with a skewer, brush with wing sauce from the second bowl, using a pastry brush.
4. Place the rumaki on the rack and bake for 20 minutes, re-apply sauce, turn pan and cook for 15-20 minutes more or until cooked throughout and the bacon is crispy.
5. Serve with crumbled blue cheese, additional wing sauce, ranch and/or blue cheese dressing for dipping. Enjoy!
This recipe was originally written for Taste Cooking, published, August 8, 2015.