There is no flour in these muffin cups, yet they’re still light and fluffy! The secret is to beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. I mixed in spicy Italian chicken sausage and cheddar cheese, but feel free to experiment with your favorite sausage and cheese combinations. This recipe was originally published on iVillage.com.
- 3 eggs separated
- 3 ounces low-fat or full-fat cream cheese softened
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 pre-cooked Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage links
- ¼ cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan for garnish
- light butter or creme fraiche for serving
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Put the egg yolks and cream cheese in one bowl and the egg whites and Cream of Tartar in
- another bowl.
- Blend the egg whites with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 to 5
- minutes. Then, beat the egg yolks and cream cheese together until smooth, about a minute.
- Fold the yolk mixture into the fluffy whites with a rubber spatula, gently so the whites don't
- deflate too much.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and crumble into the batter. Add the cheddar cheese and
- gently fold to combine.
- Spoon the batter into 6 greased ramekins or oven-Âsafe mugs, leaving about 1/2â€ space at the
- top. (It will say on the bottom of the mug if they are ovenÂ-safe.)
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of parmesan and cheddar and serve with Creme Fraiche or a pat of butter.