The shrimp cocktail I grew up with in Ohio was reserved for special occasions. It was served in a chilled martini glass filled with crushed ice topped with a dollop of horseradish and lemon juice infused ketchup, the shrimp dangling around the rim. I loved it.
Mexican style shrimp cocktail is a more casual affair, but just as festive. It’s traditionally served layered in the kind of glass used for ice cream sundaes, along with the customary long spoon, and since I make mine with Bloody Mary mix and hot sauce it’s ready in about 5 minutes.
Coctel De Camaron: Mexican Style Shrimp Cocktail With Avocado
- 1/2 pound medium sized peeled & cooked shrimp
- 3/4 cup Bloody Mary Mix. I love Trader Joe's version it works perfectly with this recipe.
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped white or red onion
- 1/2 of an avocado roughly chopped
- Mexican hot sauce to taste (a few of my favorites are Castillo, Salsa Huichol and Guacamaya)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- lime wedges to garnish
- Layer the cucumber, onion cilantro and shrimp into sundae dishes or large glasses. Pour in the Bloody Mary mix to fill. Top with avocado, and more cucumber. Makes 2.