Cauliflower that has been pre-chopped into tiny rice-sized bits is my favorite new food product. It’s almost indistinguishable from real rice in recipes, yet contains significantly less carbs, so it’s perfect for grain-free and Paleo diets. If you want a little more protein just add about a half cup of diced cooked pork or chicken.
Trader Joe’s makes both fresh and organic frozen varieties, but if you can’t find pre-riced cauliflower, pulse chopped cauliflower in a food processor for the same results. Be sure to use gluten free soy sauce (tamari) if you are sensitive.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Stir fry the riced cauliflower until it starts to brown, about two minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds and chopped onion and continue to stir fry for a minute or two more.
- One at a time, stir in the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, Sambal Oelek and Sriracha.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in coconut milk, cilantro, basil and Thai spice blend. Simmer until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the beaten egg, stir until well combined and cook for two minutes more.