Prepare the grains according to package instructions unless otherwise noted. You can do this in advance and store the cooked grains in the refrigerator to save time later.
Different varieties of the same grain have different cooking times so be sure to check the label. This recipe was originally written for, and published on Refinery29 as part of an article on easy and affordable grain bowls. Check out the rest of the recipes on the site.
- 1 cup prepared wheat berries warmed
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese part skim or full milk
- 2 teaspoons butter divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt 1 teaspoon of the butter in a nonstick pan. Toss in the butternut squash chunks and sautÃ© over medium heat until browned and soft, about 15 minutes. It will look mashed. If it doesnâ€™t look mashed, smash it a bit with the back of your spatula. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fry the egg in the remaining teaspoon of butter. Spoon the wheat berries into the bottom of your serving bowl, leaving a well for the squash. Place the squash in the well, then top with ricotta followed by the fried egg. Season with salt and pepper.